Sunday, April 02, 2006

Pizza Pizza Pizza

When you live in a foreign country, sometimes the simplest of things become adventures. Last night, we decieded to try to order a pizza over the phone. Just like in the US, we get frequent junk mail from places like Pizza La, and Pizza Hut. Digging one out, we made our choice of the "Meat Paradise" pizza, and I made the call.

Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese...] Pizza Hut [something in Japanese]."
Me: "Uhh....Pizza kudasai." (Pizza please)
Pizza Hut: "Hai. [something in Japanese]."
Me: "Uhh...Meato Paradaisu, onegaishimasu." (Meat Paradise, please)
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese]."
Me: "Sumimasen?" (Pardon me?)
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese]."
Me: " Sumimasen?" (Pardon me?_
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese]."
Me: "Uhh....sanjurok shichirigahama?" (address...)
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese]."
Me: "Sumimasen?" (Pardon me?)
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese]."
Me: "Uhh...gomenasai...Nihongo ga jozu jarimasen." (I'm sorry, I don't speak Japanese well)
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese] nomitai?."
Me: "Uhh...sumimasen?"
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese] nomitai." (something in Japanese "drink")?
Me: "Oh! Nomitai! Iie...ii desu." (Oh, drinks...no. That's ok.)
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese]."
Me: "Uhh...sumimasen?"
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese] yen."
Me: "Oh...Hai. Ii desu." (Oh. OK. That's fine.)
Pizza Hut: "[something in Japanese]."
Me: "Uh...OK desu...bye bye."

Whatever transpired, it must have worked, because about 30 minutes later, some pizza guy showed up at the door with the Meat Paraidise Pizza. We chose that one over some of the others, such as "Sea Urchin Glory" or "Idaho Special." And we definitely passed on the "Mayo Q." I'm not a fan of mayo, due to some deep seated childhood traumas when my sister would chase me around the house trying to smear it on me with a spoon, or would eat it straight out of the jar. Bad memories returning...must...find...happy...place...

No comments: