Monday, August 07, 2006

What I've Been Listening To

With the long commute every day, whether or not I take the train, I've gotten pretty adept at sniffing out good podcasts to keep my mind on something other than the pain in my backside and numb legs from sitting down for an hour and a half.

So, besides the daily dose of Rush Limbaugh, what else am I listening to?

First of all, there are a few good travel podcasts.

1. Hotel Coffee Podcast: This is a mostly weekly podcast by a Horizon Air pilot, Dan O'Leary. It's an interesting look at the life of a pilot who commutes to his work. One of our good friends, Greg, does just that, so it's interesting to imagine that his life might be somewhat similar. In addition to his musings, he also provides a steady diet of Podsafe music.

2. Travelcommons: This is a blog "brought to you from hotel bathrooms around the country." Due to the good reverb found in the tiles bathrooms of the hotels that he stays in, Mark Peacock, a grizzled road warrior, brings to his listening audience an entertaining look at the life of a weekly traveling commuter.

3. Made In Japan Podcast: This is done semi-weekly by a long term expatriot living in Japan. Since we live in Japan as well, it is particularly entertaining to listen to and commiserate (on the rare occasion) as well as get an expat's view of the news of the day here in Japan.

4. Sahara: Though not a podcast, it is a book on tape that we downloaded from iTunes. It's by Michael Palin of Monty Python fame, and is an account of his travels around the Sahara. Interesting to me because it covers some of the same ground that I did in previous travels in Morocco.

So that's it. I highly recommend any one or all of them. Follow the links, and download them as you like. I think you'll appreciate them as much as I.

No comments: